Naked Sense

These days, I have to wonder about the relationship between nudism and sensory issues. I work with many individuals who have sensory issues and I’ve noted lately that I seem to have a few of my own. I definitely am ultra-sensitive to smell. Cigarette smells have always bothered me but this weekend I noted that the smell of dirty dog (my sister’s dogs) made me completely unable to sleep. I also don’t tolerate loud noise well. Of course, like many of you, I feel so much better without clothing. It’s almost comical that when I’m having a bad day at work, a colleague consistently recommends that I get some nude time, which does always seem to get me “back to normal”- or as close to normal as I come.

Since nudists obviously prefer to be without clothes, I have to wonder: are there others out there who prefer being without clothes simply because of the sensory stuff? Do clothes literally make you feel stifled and uncomfortable? And, if so, did this happen as a result of you being a nudist or did it cause you to be a nudist in the first place? Inquiring minds want to know. I want to know.

Tags: , , , , ,

This entry was posted by Melissastarr on Wednesday, September 28th, 2011 at 12:29 am and is filed under Uncategorized . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

12 Comments

1. CGHill says:

For some people, there might be allergic reactions involved, given the vast number of mysterious compounds that are included in everyday laundry products: even the ones advertised as free of scent may still react with skin.

2. Alex says:

Melissa, I had a lot of sensory issues growing up, mainly around the sense of touch. It was enough to require regular therapy. I’ve since grown out of that, for the most part. I’ve considered myself a nudist/naturist since my sophomore year of college. (That was 12 years ago.) Are the two linked? Possibly. Sometimes I can be fine with wearing clothes, but other times the feel of clothes and the restriction of movement really get to me. In those circumstances, not wearing clothes really puts me at ease.

Thanks for that observation. I’d hardly put those two things together in my own mind.

3. Melissa,

It is very good to read that you are still actvie and doing fine. I was worried when I had not read or heard anything from you for a while.

I concur that when I am feeling oppressed or overwhelmed,losing these false skins make me feel much better. My wife is usually the one who notices, comments and recommends some “naked time” ASAP and is usually undressed before I am.

It has been a while since we have seen a photo of you. I especially cherish the ones of you praying.

Son-cerely,
    Nathan Power,
    Houston, Texas.

• Susana says:

Godiva,,the naked woman who rode a horse wlkaed down the roads in town..i forgot about the story..IDK..i just thought of her..when i read the part about being naked with a long hair that kept growing..

4. Anders says:

For me, it’s not as much the restrictions when I’m clothed that bother me. It’s more the feeling of total freedom when I’m without them. But I sure recognise the need for naked-time.
    Lucky enough we hawe a naked swim coming up this Sunday. Naked-time for the whole family.

5. Bob B says:

Well, lets see I was born naked….OK,OK. For me I was a very primi baby born in 1944. I spent my first several months naked under a heat lamp in an incubator. I had a wet nurse, an actual nurse back when that was acceptable. To this day I still feel the most comfortable naked under the sun. Comfy clothes feel nice if they are soft and warm during the cold times. Underwear not necessary, it seems to ruin it.

6. Kelev says:

Marcia Rubinstein makes a reference to this in her book, ‘Raising NLD Superstars,’ saying something about kids with sensory issues growing up in nudist colonies getting to enjoy life without binding clothes and itchy tags, etc. This was our experience with our oldest, who hated clothes for a long time when he was small. We went to a lot of nudist venues and he learned to swim at a pool that had naked swim times. I also taught kindergarten in Prague where kids that age typically go to the pool and sauna. I noticed that the students of mine who had sensory issues seemed to flourish at the pool and sauna when they could romp without clothes. I think most kids are this way naturally, and lots of adults never “grow out” of this and the people we identify as having issues are really just the more extreme end of a common phenomena.

7. Andy/Diane says:

I’ve commented on this several times on message boards and I’m still completely convinced that; your skin is the largest organ of your body. Like ALL organs of your body…they require Oxygen and Glucose to survive.

We get our glucose through the foods we eat and we get our oxygen by breathing but…I believe the skin cannot breath completely if it is covered. Taking into account the numerous dyes and chemicals used to make clothing and our skin trying to breath through your clothes…it’s no wonder many of us feel better once we take the clothes off.

Many can claim that is all in our heads but I truly believe that when your entire body is able to breath without restriction…you feel better.

I am also more sensitive to smells and it’s gotten worse as I’ve gotten older. Perfumes, cig smoke, pet odors, herbs, gardens…some are stronger for me than others but I either get headaches or begin coughing.

Living nude and feeling better can’t be a novelty. We’ve lived nude for over 38 yrs and the “novelty” has worn off long ago. It has to be that we are more comfortable and feel better without the binding, pinching, bunching, irritating clothing we wear. I have some pretty comfy shorts, t shirts, sweatshirts and I still can’t wait to get them off when I have the opportunity because being clothed irritates me.

8. Thomas says:

I am a person with a disability. After I developed a severely painful pressure sore on my tailbone a few years ago and having to spend 2 to 3 days on my stomach in order for it to heal properly, I vowed to do what I could never to get another one. Luckily for me, I have good blood supply to the area.

Since then however, my skin has become sensitive. If I wear underwear and pants, it all bunches up where I sit; and it can rub there. If I wear just my pants, it feels better, but it is not great.

What feels the best is to just take my pants (and underwear) off when I get home. The only support and understanding I feel I would get is from the naturist community. There are no travel or landed clubs nearby that am aware of.

I feel rather isolated.

Thank you for listening and understanding.

• Mabel says:

Yes they do exist. If you’ve never been to a nudist beach before, here are a few guidelines: Gawking is impolite. If you want to go to the nudist beach for a thrill, do everyone a favor and buy a magazine instead. ? Ask for people’s consent before taking their photograph nude. ? If you’re sunbathing nude in a secluded area, leave a bathing suit on a rock to let others know they are approaching an unclothed person. If you’re uncomfortable having your suit out of reach, bring a spare. ? On a wide open beach, position yourself in the open so you can see people coming and put something on before they get there if you need to. ? Get dressed before you leave the nudist beach. ? Be friendly, but respect others’ rights to privacy. ? Avoid sexual activity. It’s illegal and offensive. ? Advances of an unwelcome or unwanted nature are not acceptable anywhere, and especially at a nudist beach. ? Be Prepared. Sometimes, the nudist beach doesn’t have any amenities. Bring water, food, towel, sunscreen and anything else you need. ? Keep the nudist beach clean. If you carried it in, carry it back out.

9. Dante' says:

Once a being experiences the elements on the naked skin of the whole body they realize the appeal of nudism. The body is the tool by which we interact with our surroundings. I believe we rediscover this when we shed our clothes. There is no going back.

• Joel says:

What you are rfreering to is called art . It is a figment of the artist’s imagination. For instance, the painting called Dejeuner sur l’herbe (picnic on the grass) shows a nude woman picnicking with fully clothed men. It’s by a French artist named Edouard Manet. Now, when this happens in real life, it’s called indecent exposure and it’s a crime almost everywhere. There are a few nude or topless beaches that are exceptions to this rule. I suppose strip clubs are also exceptions to the rule. So, when you get old enough, maybe you could go to one.