I am Woman: Hear my Clothes Come Off!

As I sit here nude and look down, I notice that I’m a woman. Wait, let me check again. Yep, I’m a woman. Being that I’m in Nude Recreation, I can be labeled a Woman in Nude Recreation. Deep, huh?

What does it mean to be a Woman in Nude Recreation? I hear about this group of individuals but don’t really understand what it means. I suppose the group was created to encourage more women to participate in Nude Recreation. OK, good idea!

More women in Nude Recreation would be awesome. It’s good to see other women at our parks and our womanly ways add to any group. But, more importantly, women need to experience nudism. I read an article recently about how many women won’t go to the gym due to feeling uncomfortable changing in the locker room. Within my job, I hear constantly of kids failing gym because they refuse to change in the locker room. As an aunt, I hear my young nieces talking about their bodies- never positively, of course. We’ve all heard of crazy spending on liposuction, plastic surgery, and the like- sometimes on men, but most often on women. Clearly, there are some major body acceptance issues going on that need to be addressed in Womandom.

How are we going to get women to see that Nude Recreation is an option? Not only is it an option, it’s a fantastic option because of the acceptance, love, support, friendship, and encouragement that are found within the nudist community. I personally spent an awful lot of money between childhood and approaching age 30 paying therapists to fix me. It didn’t work. Do you want to know what worked? You probably already guessed: nudism. That’s not to say that therapy isn’t helpful or necessary for some, but my reality was that the nudist environment, in which I was wanted, appreciated, and loved for who I am, was all I needed to overcome years and years of depression. It was miraculous, really, and I wish that I had become a nudist loooong ago.

I became a nudist out of shear desperation: it was my last attempt to make my life livable before calling it quits. Little did I know that life being livable was just the beginning on the road to a glorious life! How do we get other women, who maybe aren’t at that level but definitely could grow more joyful as a result of nudism, to try it out? I don’t have the answer, sadly, but I’m going to try to figure it out. Any ideas???

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted by Melissastarr on Friday, March 30th, 2012 at 10:50 pm and is filed under Uncategorized . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

11 Comments

1. Rick Cooper says:

You go girl!!! Welcome to a beautyful lifestyle. I hope you get to enjoy all that nudism/naturism gas to offer.

2. Rusty Burton says:

I think you have it! Ladies have to be comfortable in their own skin. As a disabled male I think that people of both genders should quite worrying about their bodies and take the plunge and try being naked for a day or so.

3. Melissa,
    I just found your site for the first time. This is the first article of yours that I have read, and am 100% in agreement. I am not a female, wait , let me check. Yep, I am male (I thought that was cute) so I have different issues regarding nudism. I am currently writing a research paper on body acceptance for college, and will be cruising through your archives for good material. I will ask before borrowing anything. Who knows, maybe you will use some of my matrial.
    Douglas

• Melissastarr says:

Douglas, if you need any further information let me know. Body acceptance is a passion for me and I may have some resources to share. Great topic for a research paper!!!

• Bear says:

If you need some insight from a below-the-knee amputee and his involvement in naturism, I welcome your questions.

4. Melissa, I love the title of your post, and we are both pondering the same question lol. So far I plan to start writing for other publications about nudism, women and body issues. Also planning to do some outreach this summer at various events and outings! Like the World Naked Bike Ride for example. Another idea is doing a women’s-only event. Plus if you do organize a top-free gathering in your area this spring/summer, we’d be happy to publicize it! :)

• Melissastarr says:

Rock on, Felicity!!! I’m gonna have to figure out a plan for a topfree event up this way. If you have any words of wisdom on the planning, let me know!

5. CJ says:

Melissa: I agree with your post.
    When I first got into nudism I was also met with discrimination. Being a single male, and also 18 at the time, people automatically thought I was there with bad intentions. I even had been asked to leave one place because someone said I had an erection. Suddenly, the management comes up to me and tells me they had several complaints, from people who said they saw me with an erection, even though I know they did not see me with one. I never had one in any way. I think they just wanted me out cause I was new to nudism at that point and cause I was so young.

Your post also gives perspective from a female. Issues I obviously did not know of, but can relate to some.

I do think there are places that need to open up and let singles in. That’s the best way you’re going to get more members and to benefit nudism as a while.

6. mike says:

My wife and I use to go places in the buff but she doesn’t want to anymore. Instead we opt to find vaca. spots like secluded cabins and such. Its hard to find places like this. Any ideas?

7. Tom Doyen says:

Hi Melissa,
    I am the only one in my family that enjoys being clothes free. I would like my wife to join me, but for some reason she doesn’t feel comfortable or she has somthing else to say like why? I am not a member of any like AANR, or Minnesota Naturist. I am a home nudist and have been one for a number of years. We don’t have any place close to my area that is private or secluded. I lived south of Mankato, MN. and as far as nudist friends there are none. As far as starting a conversation on nudity/naturism without people thinking your some kind of weirdo how would you start? Hope you can help.
    Thanks

8. Earl Ferrier says:

Melissa.

Not too sure if you will read this as it is an ancient post. I’ve often thought of giving a seminar for single women, couples, and families on the advantages of social nudism, but don’t quite know how to go about it. As a single male, I would expect a seminar to be much more acceptable if a female co-directed. AANR sponsership would be a big help and go a long way toward acceptance.

Perhaps reaching out to interested females and families through the local media and the internet is an option. What do you think? And any advise would be most appreciated.